Not everyone has the space or the desire for an in-ground garden, but you can still have fresh vegetable flavor with a pot or two.
There are several vegetables that will grow equally well in a pot as they do in the ground.
A little extra attention may have to be paid to container-grown vegetable plants, but it’s still a fun and rewarding venture.
And the first taste of homemade eggplant Parmesan, tomato sandwich or stuffed peppers will make it all worthwhile.
Grab a planting pot, some soil and seeds and get ready to plant and grow some of these popular garden vegetables.
Eggplants love warm temperatures and produce their best in zones that offer them a long and warm growing season.
If you’re starting plants from seeds, start the seeds 6 weeks before the last predicted frost date.
The seeds can be started in the pot in which they will remain, or started in smaller containers and transplanted when the seedling (and weather) is ready.
When starting with plants, wait until the outdoor air temperature is above 75 degrees before planting in a pot. Prepare soil by mixing 2 inches of compost into potting soil along with a slow-release balanced fertilizer.
Place two seeds (thin to one plant after germination) or one plant in a pot that is 18-24 inches across.
Water in well and place pot in a full sun location and keep soil moist.
The trick to successfully growing eggplants in a pot is to protect the plant from becoming infested with flea beetles.
This is easy to do – just keep the pot from coming into contact with the ground.
Keep growing container on the porch or patio or place a couple of bricks under the pot if it will be sitting on the ground.
Harvest eggplant when vegetable flesh is soft enough to press thumb into, but firm enough for the flesh to bounce back into shape.
Under-ripe fruits are too hard to make a thumbprint and over-ripe fruits are too soft to bounce back into shape.
Use a sharp knife to cut the stem away from the main stalk, leaving the eggplant cap intact when harvesting.
- Material: Made with high quality nonwoven fabric, Built-in handles for easy movement
- Structure: Prevents roots circling and air-prunes plant's root structure, so it's better than Plastic Containers
- Warmer & Cooler: Keeps plant warmer in winter and cooler in the summer
- Package: 6-pack 10 gallon grow bags
- Holiday Gift Choice for Christmas, We provide detailed instructions for use and maintenance procedures in the pictures and description, if there are other problems, we will reply you in the first time.
Everything’s better with a slice of tomato on it, and homegrown tomatoes are one of the easiest vegetables to grow.
A lot of sun and a steady supply of water and food will yield you fresh tomatoes all summer.
Start with a pot that is 18-24 inches across and 12 inches deep.
Mix good quality potting soil with 2 inches of compost and a slow-release fertilizer.
Set tomato plant in the center of the soil 6 inches deep.
Backfill planting hole, firm soil and water plant in well.
Tomato plants can also be started from seeds indoors 6 weeks prior to the last frost date in spring.
Place pot in a full sun location and place a layer of organic mulch on top of soil.
Keep soil moist at all times and feed tomato plant with water soluble fertilizer mixed at one-half the recommended rate once a week.
Keep suckers pinched off plant – suckers are side shoots that develop along the main plant stem and rob the plant of needed nutrients.
Harvest when tomato turns red by cutting the stem off the vine with a sharp knife.
Consider growing more than one type of tomato in a pot.
All are grown the same way and there are a plethora of colors, flavors, textures and sizes available for the home gardener.
- 【WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE VEGETABLE PLEANTER BOXES】11.8 inches in diameter and 13.7 inches in height. The high-quality non-woven patio garden can not only ensure air circulation, allow the roots to get more oxygen to breathe freely, and better promote the growth of plants faster and better. The plant growth bag can quickly drain excess water to protect the roots and prevent rotting.
- 【EASY TO CARRY, DURABLE AND RELIABLE】The potato box have a strong handle strap, which makes lifting and moving more convenient and easy. The durable handle will support the weight. Don't worry about them being torn or moving badly.
- 【REUSABLE AND MULTI-PURPOSE USE】 3 pcs 7-gallon patio garden planter, you can put about 4 to 6 kinds of potato seeds in each garden planter bag or other plants. The durable fabric ensures that the flowerpot bag can be reused every year. You can plant another vegetable again after you have planted it, and you can fold it and store it when not in use. The tomato grow box can also store dirty clothes, tools, etc.
- 【OBSERVE & HARVEST WINDOW】The planting pots for tomato have designed a visualization harvest window that can be opened and closed, through which you not only can check whether your plant is mature and you can easily harvest plants through the window without damaging the plant.
- 【WIDELY USED】The tomato boxes is perfect for planting in patios, small gardens, balconies, sun rooms, and any outdoor space. They can be used to plant the potato, taro, radish, carrots, onions, and many other vegetables.Grow your favorite vegetables to get the greatest satisfaction.
Whether you like hot peppers, sweet peppers, big, little, red or green, all peppers are grown the same basic way. The plants thrive in hot weather in a location that receives at least 6 hours of direct sun per day.
Use a 12-inch deep container and mix in 1 inch of compost and slow-release fertilizer into potting soil.
Place two seeds or one plant into center of soil, cover with soil, water in well.
Pepper plants will not need to be fed again during the growing season, but will need to be watered during times of drought or anytime the plant appears to be wilted.
Add a 2 inch layer of organic mulch on top of the soil to help retain moisture.
Harvest peppers at any stage of maturity by snipping the pods off the stems.
Peppers are good when they are small and green, or they can be allowed to ripen to any range of color that you prefer.
The plant will produce fresh pepper pods all summer.
- 10-Gallon, Retro Pepper grow bag
- Burlap bag, lined with plastic to retain water and drainage hole in the base
- Retro, nostalgic style peppers label is silk screened to the front
- Reinforced seams for sturdiness and handles for easy re-positioning
- Fold flat for seasonal storage or easily move bags indoors to grow year-round!
8 Benefits Of Yarrow Yarrow, with its delicate blossoms and storied past, has been cherished…
Watermelon, a refreshing summer favorite, isn’t just delicious; it’s packed with numerous health benefits. From…
Garlic, a culinary staple, boasts remarkable health benefits when consumed raw. From enhancing immunity to…
Basil, a renowned culinary and medicinal herb, has garnered global acclaim for its exceptional versatility….
12 Herbs You Can Grow in Water Italians say that herbs give a dish its…
5 Benefits Of Catnip Catnip, renowned for its playful effects on felines, offers a plethora…