If you’ve ever been walking in the woods, enjoying the sights and sounds of nature, then you may have noticed a particular type of shrubbery with bright red berries that seem too beautiful to be true – the dogwood berry.
Fruits of the dogwood tree, these berries have spawned a million questions and debates. Can you eat them? Do they taste good? Could anything be done with dogwood berries?
The answer to the first question – can you eat dogwood berries – is a fascinating one. With their unique shape, plump texture, and luscious color, they definitely seem edible.
However, it is important to have the right kind of knowledge before consuming these berries.
So, Are Dogwood Berries Edible?
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
In more recent centuries, there’s been an ongoing debate surrounding the edible status of the small berries.
Unfortunately, the answer is not so straightforward, as some claim that certain varieties are edible and others are not. To be safe, it’s best to know exactly which species of the dogwood berry is being consumed as a food source.
Let’s take a closer look at the various species of dogwood berry and discover which, if any, can be enjoyed as a food source.
First, it’s important to note that there are a handful of dogwood species that produce edible berries, including the Cornelian Cherry and Canadian Bunchberry. Whereas the fruit of the Flowering Dogwood and its berries are, unfortunately, inedible.
They are mildly toxic and should not be consumed. Moreover, the berries produced by the Gray Dogwood are only edible for birds.
So, to answer the initial question: are dogwood berries edible? The answer is a bit complicated as it depends on which berries from which species of the dogwood tree are being addressed.
RELATED: Dogwood Flower Meaning
Do Dogwood Berries Pose Any Potential Health Risks?
In general, the berries of the Dogwood tree are safe for humans to consume as long as you know which species of the berries are edible. However, some people report experiencing rashes after skin contact with the Dogwood tree.
Are the Red Berries on Dogwood Tree Seeds?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions about Dogwood trees. The answer is yes and no.
Yes, the small red berries clinging to Dogwood tree branches are, in fact, seeds. But their exact purpose varies from species to species and even location to location.
For some, the seeds have no other function than to be food for birds. For others, the seeds play an important role in the survival and propagation of the species.
In the wild, the red Dogwood seeds are eaten and dispersed in the woods, most often by birds.
The seeds are a valuable food source for them during the winter months when other more accessible sources of nourishment are scarce.
Can You Do Anything with Dogwood Berries?
Yes, there are several things you can do with dogwood berries. Some common uses include:
- Jelly or Preserves: Dogwood berries can be used to make jelly or preserves, which can be enjoyed on toast, biscuits, or as a topping for pancakes or waffles. Dogwood berries make for wonderful decorations for cakes, ice cream sundaes, and other desserts. Or, use them as festive accents on your table settings
- Wine: Dogwood berries can be used to make a unique and flavorful wine. Along with drinks, you can easily mix dogwood berries into muffins, scones, and other baked goods. Even savory dishes like salads and pork chops can benefit from a few delectable dogwood berries
- Dye: The berries can be used to make a natural dye for fabrics and other materials
- Herbal Medicine: Dogwood berries have been traditionally used in herbal medicine for various purposes including the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, and fevers. Native Americans have been using these berries in healing rituals for centuries. They have been attributed to the berries being able to reduce inflammation, relieve sore throats, cure upper respiratory infections, and also aid with digestion issues
- Decoration: Dogwood berries can be used in a number of ways for decoration purposes. For example, they can be used to make a beautiful wreath for any season. They can also be used to make festive decorations for Christmas. Moreover, they are often used in wedding decorations, for example, for making garlands, boutonnieres, and other floral arrangements
In conclusion, eating Dogwood berries can be a unique and fun experience just as long as you take the proper precautions to ensure they are safe to consume.
With the right knowledge and resources, you can add a new and interesting addition to your fruit-eating repertoire.
While exploring and embracing all the wonderful fruits the world has to offer is an exciting way to find joy in cooking and food, it’s always important to be mindful and stay protected.
SHARE ON PINTEREST
Other Great Posts: