Practical & Straightforward Information on Finding the BEST Pruning Shears
When trying to achieve the desired shaping in shrubs or trimming overgrowth, it’s important to have the right tools that will perform.
Are you guilty of grabbing hedge trimmers or a pair of scissors to get the job done?
There is nothing more detrimental to the health of our landscape garden than to go cutting on plants all willy nilly. Hedge trimmers have their specific purpose as well as scissors, and neither should be used in pruning.
Pruning is judicious cuts of your greenery that should be done by hand with pruning shears.
Every cut should be clean without twisting or shredding of the cut-site. Anything outside of a clean-cut will cause stress to the plant exposing it to disease.
In a Hurry?
Here’s Our TOP FIVE Recommended Pruning Shears
What are the BEST pruning shears?
Felco F-2 Classic Manual Hand Pruner
Gardenite Power Drive Ratchet Pruning Shears
Lakaw Bypass Pruning Shears
Fiskars 35J Bypass Pruning Shears
Check On Amazon
We will take a look at various brands along with their features, reviews, and the pros/cons of each.
You will be armed and ready to purchase the best pruning shears for use in your garden!
The Bottom Line:
You must be willing to pay the pricey cost for a good quality pair of shears such as these.
The Felco F-2 shears are great for bigger hands.
If you are looking for shears that can handle thicker branches up to an inch thick, these are it!
- Anvil blade with a sap groove
- A hardened bolt and nut to assure exact adjustment of both the cutting and anvil blades
- Rubber cushion and shock absorber
- Ideal pruner for light applications and easily adjustable
- Features strong blades with a wire cutting notch
The Bottom Line:
These shears are designed for smaller hands and those with arthritis or carpal tunnel.
Although the ratings are good, numerous reviews are consistently reporting durability issues.
If you are not a heavy pruner with small hands, these shears should perform to your expectations.
- ★★★★★ EFFORTLESS CUTTING - The ratchet in the pruner is a clever extra mechanism to make light work of tough cuts. As you squeeze ratcheting pruning shears, they latch so you can release and squeeze again, performing the cut in easy steps rather than one go. As you cut through a branch, the ratcheting mechanism clicks and moves to the next setting, providing ever-increasing pressure as you cut.
- ★★★★★ 5 TIMES THE POWER - The ratcheting mechanism's settings multiply your hand's power by up to 5 times, so that you don't have to do the work - the pruning shears do it for you. With
- ★★★★★ HIGH QUALITY HARDENED STEEL BLADES - Heat treated and hardened carbon steel blades are ultra strong, will last longer and are less likely to nick or need frequent sharpening. Coated with non-stick Teflon that resists sap and other sticky materials.
- ★★★★★ ERGONOMIC COMFORTABLE DESIGN - If you intend to prune frequently, you'll appreciate the way that a ratchet pruner will reduce wrist strain, require less pressure to cut, and generally make the pruning experience much more enjoyable. If you do a lot of pruning, this can make a huge difference in hand fatigue. Ideal if you are already starting out at a disadvantage with carpal tunnel or arthritis, or have smaller hands.
- ★★★★★ 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Order with confidence! The Gardenite 100% customer satisfaction guarantee means exactly that. We will fix any problems quickly and to your 100% satisfaction every time! We are always available to help our customers. Our customer service record is unmatched!
The Bottom Line:
These pruning shears have perfect ratings with outstanding reviews.
The overall comfort and ease of use coupled with the durable craftsmanship make these shears a perfect buy!
- 【Sharpness】：The fully hardened, precision-ground steel blade stays sharp even after heavy use. And its replaceable design allows you to quickly replace the spring and blade even if it is accidentally damaged.
- 【Comfortable】：With ergonomic design of the non-slip handle, strong, and comfortable, with a tight blades structure design allows you to easily cut off branches.
- 【Lightweight】：This 8-inch gardening scissors is the perfect size and lightweight so you can carry it easily through the garden to prune your beloved plants.
- 【Security】：Safe and Secure Lateral Locking Mechanism to protect your blade and close it when not in use, with a high durability spring for smooth opening and closing.
- 【Services】：To provide you with the best service, please contact us if you have any questions
The Bottom Line:
If you are looking for an inexpensive pair of pruning shears for lighter jobs, these will do the job.
The blades are not apt to handle biting into thicker branching.
A positive is if you have any problems, the lifetime warranty affords you replacements.
- Quality Garden Tools: Designed to help you cultivate a better garden, Fiskars garden and yard tools are equipped with smart technologies and award-winning, ergonomic features that make it easier and more enjoyable to transform your outdoor space.
- Maximum power and precision: All-steel blade stays sharp longer; Rust-resistant, low-friction coating helps glide through wood; Self-cleaning sap groove keeps blades from sticking; Non-slip grip handle and easy-open lock make control and storage easy
- Long-lasting and reliable: All-steel design provides excellent durability for lasting value. Fiskars pruning shears and tools are built to last and backed by a full lifetime warranty.
- Ideal for a variety of pruning tasks: Works well for trimming bonsai tree branches, cutting flower stems, maintaining your herb garden, and more to encourage overall plant health and appearance.
- Includes 1 Fiskars Manual Bypass Pruners measuring 5.5” long. Makes clean cuts on stems and light branches up to 5/8" in diameter.
The Bottom Line:
Gonicc pruning shears are all backed by a lifetime warranty.
This gives buyers the assurance that replacements are no problem.
If you have large hands, you may not find these comfortable to use.
Overall, these pruning shears perform well.
Both ratings and reviews were positive!
- Drop forged body and handles.
- Quality blade made of Premium Titanium steel with Ultra-fine Polishing Technology.
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable.
- Sap groove design to help keep pruning shears from sticking by channeling off sap.
- Pruners can cut up to 3/4" diameter size tree branches.This may vary depending on tree species.
What are Pruning Shears?
Pruning Shears are a hand held, hand operated, gardening tool.
They are designed similarly to scissors and perform a similar function to them.
In fact, pruning shears are sometimes referred to as gardening scissors. There is a difference though. Garden shears are not designed to cut paper and regular scissors are not designed for outdoor use.
Garden shears are used to cut or trim shrubbery, small branches, and can also be used to harvest flowers or produce from a garden.
Types of Blades: Anvil vs. Bypass
Depending on your pruning projects, choosing a specific type of blade will determine the behavior of the cutting action.
Cutting action: crushing motion which causes branching to separate.
Uses: branching that is dead and brittle.
Design: straight blade against a wide anvil blade
Cutting action: smooth cut with a scissor-like motion
Uses: green branching
Design: anvil/curved or straight blade against another blade.
Why should I use Pruning Shears?
You may also consider using pruning shears if you have bushes or another shrubbery that needs to be trimmed back and landscaped.
By trimming back your bushes and other plants in your garden, you are helping them with their overall growth, health, and shape.
They are easy to use and can produce neatly cut results without strenuous effort from you.
How do I use Pruning Shears?
This hand-held gardening tool might seem self-explanatory to use, and you would be correct.
If you have ever used scissors to cut paper, then you surely can use pruning shears to trim back a bush in your garden.
However, if pruning shears are used incorrectly, then they can become a hazard to the operator and anyone else nearby.
The first step you need to do is to take a look at your garden and other landscape.
The best time of year to do this is during the autumn months or whenever your trees, bushes, and plants are reaching their dormancy stages.
Take a walk around your yard and make a mental note (or physical note if that helps you) of every bush, plant, tree and other greenery that needs to be pruned and trimmed.
Once you have an idea of what plants need your attention, then you can move on to step two!
Sharpening your pruning shears prior to use is wise.
This is the best way to ensure that you will be able to cut with ease. A fine tooth file should do the trick!
Remember to hold the fine tooth file at an angle against the pruning shears blade and slide it away from your body.
Also, don't forget to do this along the edge of the pruning shears blade.
It is also wise to use gardening gloves when you use pruning shears.
They will keep your hands safe from cuts, scrapes, and potential infection if you were to cut yourself with the pruning shears accidentally, or if you were to be dealing with thorny plants such as a rose bush.
You may also want to use a pair of safety glasses to help protect your eyes.
Now you are ready to begin!
Go to your first plant and find a small section or branch that needs to be trimmed. Hold that section or branch between your gloved fingers, firmly.
Do not twist the branch!
With your pruning shears in your other hand, snip the branch as far down as you want to create the landscaped look you desire.
The pruning shears should make a clean cut through the branch.
If you are unable to cut through that particular section, then you may need to choose a smaller section or larger shears.
Be sure that each cut you make is smooth and clean! Otherwise, you could damage the plant.
Also, be careful not to trim your plant too much!
After you have cut the plants that you made a mental note of earlier, and you are satisfied with your landscaping now it is time to clean up!
Using a garbage bag or another collection method, gather all of the trimmed pieces from around your yard.
Once the yard has been landscaped and cleaned up, you can now rinse and dry your pruning shears as well as replace the protective cover.
Put them away in a safe place for next time!
What are the benefits to using Pruning Shears?
Pruning Shears make landscaping your bushes and plants easy.
They are an excellent way to not only make your yard look good, but pruning will also help your shrubs and plants to remain healthy, strong, and lively each year.
Overall plant health is improved
Removes decaying/dead parts that can spread disease
Aids in pest control
Helps to train and shape greenery for the desired look
Your Take-Away On Pruning Shears
Again, using the right tool is the key to doing the job right. The variety of designs and materials in shears give you more to choose from.
Remember the following when considering pruning shears:
Size of your hands
Strength of your hand
Diameter of cut (thickness)
Amount of pruning you plan to do
Deciding on whether you use anvil or bypass pruning shears should be based on if you are pruning green or dead/brittle branching.
Be careful when handling your pruning shears because those sharp blades can definitely bite you back!