Strelitzia or bird of paradise, with its unique flowers and banana-like leaves, brings a touch of exoticism and extravaganza to any interior.
However, when you decide to share your living space with this tropical beauty, keep in mind that it is a shrub that grows up to 5 feet in height in nature.
Therefore, it is necessary to provide it with enough space and an adequate container in which the plant will feel comfortable and undisturbed.
When choosing a pot, pay attention to the following:
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
1. Pot size
When you bring Strelitzia from a nursery into your home, leave it for at least 15 days in the original container to allow the plant to adapt to the conditions in your apartment.
After the adaptation period, check if part of the root has come out into drainage holes. It is a sign that your plant needs a bigger, more spacious new home!
The new container should be only one or two inches wider than the previous one. In an oversized container, the plant will direct energy so that the aboveground part will stagnate.
Generally, Strelitzia grows best in a 10-inch pot in the first few years, while the plant height is 3 to 4 feet. Later, replace it with a pot 14 inches in diameter when such a pot is wholly filled with roots.
2. Pot Stability
Regardless of the size of the pots, it must ensure the stability of the plant because there is a large disproportion between the high leafy part and the relatively small root. Vessels of equal width and depth are more suitable than narrow and high ones.
3. Pot material
The material of the vessel is not so important as long as the pot has mandatory drainage openings. You can choose plastic or ceramic, glazed or unglazed.
However, as a natural material, even glazed, ceramics absorb moisture, so you need to water the plants in such a pot more often.
- Important: Coconut coir disks and ceramic stones are not included. It’s self-watering! The handy water level indicator let’s you know when and how much to water you’re indoor house plants. Watering is reduced to weeks instead of days. GardenBasix Planters work great for all plant types, flowers, herbs vegetables, tropical foliage, succulents, African Violets and seed starting.
- It’ll show with lush growth and more flowers. The unique passive hydroponic action creates the ideal balance of root zone oxygen and water. Plants grow and thrive because plant roots are able to sprawl and breathe within the planter container. Stop over and under watering your plants, GardenBasix planters are the modern way to care for houseplants, it’s easy.
- Includes 3 White 7'' Self Watering Planter Pots With Water Level Indicator.Important: Coconut coir disks and ceramic stones are not included in this product packaging.
- Sleek lines and vibrant colors are sure to compliment any home, apartment or condo. Choose a decorative pot color that compliments your plant or your home décor.
- Houseplants are good for you, plus they look great. Why not give the power of plants to someone you care about?
Life is Better When You Garden™
SHARE ON PINTEREST