Are Calla Lilies Poisonous to Dogs? Here is Everything You Need to Know

Dogs and Calla Lilies don’t mix. That’s because the beautiful lilies that many people like to use in their gardens are poisonous to dogs. If your dog eats even a tiny amount of a calla lily, it can experience symptoms such as vomiting, drooling, and diarrhea.

So if you have a dog, it’s essential to be aware of these dangers and keep poisonous plants out of their reach.

In this blog post, we will discuss the dangers of the calla lily and what you can do if your dog consumes this plant.

What is Calla Lily Poisining

Are Calla Lilies Poisonous to Dogs

 “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”

Calla Lily poisoning is a type of plant poisoning that occurs from eating the flowers of the Calla lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica). The plant is native to South Africa but is now grown worldwide as an ornamental.

The flowers and leaves contain oxalates, which can cause irritation and swelling of the mouth, throat, and stomach. So if you think someone has eaten a Calla lily, seek medical help immediately.

However, in severe cases, if your dog swallows easter lily, it can lead to breathing difficulties, loss of appetite, kidney failure, and even death. If you think someone has eaten a Calla lily, seek medical help immediately.

Are calla lilies poisonous to dogs?

Calla lilies are beautiful flowers that can be found in many gardens. While they are generally safe for humans, they can be poisonous to dogs. A dog eating a calla lily may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal problems. In some cases, calla lily ingestion can even be fatal to dogs. If you have a dog, it is important to keep calla lilies out of their reach.

If your dog accidentally eats calla lilies, it may experience the symptoms mentioned below.

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Swelling in the mouth
  • Drooling
  • Oral pain

Additionally, calla lilies can also cause difficulty in swallowing in dogs. If you think your dog has eaten calla lilies and is experiencing any of the listed symptoms, please get in touch with a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Diagnosis of Calla Lily Poisoning in Dogs

Ingestion of calla lily parts can harm dogs, who may eat these plants’ petals, leaves, or stems. If your dog has eaten anything from a calla lily plant, take him to the vet for a diagnosis and treatment plan.

The veterinarian will check your dog’s clinical signs, bloodwork, urinalysis, and biochemistry profile to determine if the plant has poisoned them. 

How to treat a dog after calla lily poisoning?

Treatment for calla lily poisoning is aggressive and includes inducing vomiting, hospitalization, and intravenous fluids. It depends on the condition of your dog. Treatment methods that can be tried are mentioned below.


If your dog ingests calla lily, plant particles can become lodged in their gastrointestinal tract and cause obstruction. The first treatment that your dog’s vet may try is endoscopy. The vet can try to remove the plant material through endoscopy. If that is unsuccessful, surgery will be required to remove the material.

Esophageal Tubing

After calla lily consumption, some dogs may require surgery if significant damage has occurred. A new treatment involves placing a special tube down the dog’s throat to help them vomit up the lilies. This tube is then flushed with water to remove any residual plant material.


Another way is decontamination. Decontamination is the process of cleaning an animal’s system of any harmful toxins or poisons. If your dog has eaten callas, your veterinarian can try decontaminating. Several methods can be used, so your vet can choose the best one for your dog.

IV Fluids 

Ingesting calla lilies can potentially be fatal for dogs. The plant contains calcium oxalate crystals, obstructing the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. If your dog has ingested a calla lily, call your veterinarian immediately. The veterinarian may recommend giving your dog IV fluids to help flush the toxins from its system.

What you can do to prevent your dog from getting sick from eating calla lilies?

Dogs love to explore and eat new things, sometimes making them sick. If your dog eats a calla lily, you can do a few things to help prevent your dog from getting sick from eating calla lilies. First, ensure you keep any calla lilies out of your dog’s reach. If they do happen to eat one, be sure to call your veterinarian right away. Some over-the-counter medications can be given to help stop the vomiting and diarrhea.

Recovery of Calla Lily Poisoning in Dogs

The toxins of calla lilies can cause serious health problems in dogs. Ingesting even a tiny amount of calla lily can result in kidney failure, and without immediate treatment, death is likely.

However, most dogs will fully recover with swift diagnosis and aggressive treatment. However, it takes 12-48 hours for the adverse effects to disappear if your dog responds to the treatment.


Calla lilies are poisonous to dogs and can cause serious health problems. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you believe your dog has ingested a calla lily. Be sure to keep all calla lilies out of your pets’ reach to avoid accidental poisonings.

Scroll to Top