Are Calla Lilies Poisonous? Mystery Revealed! 

Are calla lilies poisonous? It’s a mystery that has plagued gardeners for years.

Is it safe to plant them in your garden?

Are they safe to have around pets and children? The answer, it turns out, is no. Calla Lilies are not poisonous but can be toxic, especially in their raw form, because they contain calcium oxalate crystals.

In this post, we’ll take a closer look at the risks associated with calla lilies and provide some safety tips for those who want to include them in their gardens. So, are you ready to learn more? Read on!

Are Calla Lilies Poisonous

 “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”

Risks Associated with the Consumption of Calla Lily

Humans have been adorning their homes and gardens with flowers for centuries. Some of the most popular flowers, like roses and lilies, are also some of the most poisonous.

Calla lilies (Zantedeschia spp.) are members of the Araceae family, many of which contain insoluble calcium oxalates.

The calla lily is no exception and can cause immediate burning, irritation, or pain. However, life-threatening symptoms are rare.

The most toxic part of the calla lily is the stems and leaves, which contain oxalic acid. This compound, if ingested, can irritate the digestive tract and lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

What To Do if Someone Consumes Calla Lily?

Many people are surprised to learn that calla lilies (Zantedeschia spp.) are not poisonous. However, if someone accidentally ingests a calla lily, it’s better to calm down and try to take out the remaining part of the plant from the person’s mouth. Then seek medical attention immediately.

The plant contains oxalic acid, which can cause respiratory difficulty, burning in the mouth and throat, and gastrointestinal distress. If you suspect someone has eaten part of a calla lily, call poison control or 911 immediately. With prompt medical treatment, most people make a full recovery.

 What To Do If My Pet Consumes Calla Lily?

If you suspect your pet has ingested a calla lily, it is essential to be aware of the signs and symptoms of calla lily poisoning. The most common symptom is vomiting, which can occur minutes to hours after ingestion. Other symptoms include drooling, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite in more severe cases.

If you believe your pet has ingested a calla lily, it is essential to seek veterinary care immediately.

What If The Fluids of Calla Lily Come in Contact with Skin?

If the fluids of a Calla Lily come in contact with skin, it is possible that an allergic reaction may occur. The severity of the reaction will depend on the individual and their level of sensitivity.

In some cases, the reaction may be mild, resulting in a rash or itchiness. If you experience any of these symptoms after coming into contact with Calla Lily fluids, it is vital to wash the area thoroughly with water.

Safety Tips for Keeping Kids and Pets Away from Calla Lilies

While calla lilies are beautiful, they can be dangerous to kids and pets. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:

  • Keep calla lilies out of reach of kids and pets. If you have young children or pets, keeping them away from these flowers is best.
  • If you must have calla lilies in your home, ensure they’re in a location that kids and pets can’t access. For example, place them on a high shelf or locked cabinet.
  • Educate your kids and pets about the dangers of calla lilies. If they know these flowers can be harmful, they’ll be less likely to try to play with or eat them.
Buroifamily Calla Lily - Hot Mix - Seeds of 100, Mid Summer/Mixed Red/Orange/Yellow Flowers
  • Sun Exposure:Full, partial
  • Soil pH:Acidic
  • Bloom Time:Summer
  • Flower Color:White, pink, coral, maroon, orange, yellow
  • Hardiness Zones:8 to 10

Final thoughts

Calla lilies are not poisonous but somewhat toxic, and it is better to avoid them only if you have kids and pets in order to avoid harm. Prevention is better than cure, so take the necessary precautions to keep your family safe.


Scroll to Top